LightHawk Accounting Manager
Title: Accounting Manager – Helping save the environment one flight at a time
Company Introduction: LightHawk is a 40+ year-old non-profit conservation organization that uses the power of flight to advance conservation and environmental causes across North America. Our employees identify significant conservation priorities that can be advanced by the use of aviation and work with partners who share those priorities. Together we design and execute programs that utilize LightHawk’s network of 300 Volunteer Pilots and their aircraft to accomplish the desired conservation outcomes. Missions included land, water and coastal monitoring, wildlife species transport and tracking, scientific data collection, photo and video documentation and education. LightHawk arranges over 200+ flights a year with 400 different conservation partners.
Why this role matters to our organization: Understanding and managing LightHawk’s financial position is critical to the success of the organization. In this role, you’ll be a part of LightHawk’s mission by managing the finances and ensuring accurate and timely availability of key financial information that drives our strategy and success. You’ll be a key player on the management team in a position with the potential for professional growth. You will report directly to the CEO.
Candidate Requirements: A candidate for the Accounting Manager position must have a strong interest in LightHawk’s mission and a demonstrated passion for both the environment and aviation. Above all, the candidate needs to work well in a remote team setting, be comfortable in a fast-paced working environment, be a team player and understand the importance of paying attention to detail.
Position Description: The responsibilities are as follows but not limited to:
- Process A/R, A/P, assist Office Manager with payroll and related transactions.
- Process daily deposits and posting payments and adjustments.
- Handle and research issues while helping create and maintain a positive and customer service-oriented environment; escalate issues with management team as needed.
- Prepares and generates Vendor payments (Check, Wire, ACH)
- Assist with journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Support month-end, quarter-end and year-end close process.
- Maintain and process contracts with vendors, including insurance companies.
- Preparation of grant budgets, organization budget and Board financial reports.
- Approachable and willing to assist and train other team members.
- Able to assist and champion accounting improvement projects as needed.
- Primary point person for banking relationships.
- Update annual charitable organizations registrations (multiple states).
- Manage successful relationship with ADP Human Resources and Payroll contacts.
- Administer the annual audit and 990 process with CPA firm.
An ideal Accounting Manager will have five to seven years of demonstrated accounting experience and be seeking a professional growth opportunity. The Accounting Manager will also have the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business
- Experience with nonprofit accounting
- Minimum five to seven (5-7) years of relevant experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to converse over email, instant messaging, and video conferencing.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, and Quickbooks On-line with the ability to learn new systems as needed.
- Grant administrations experience preferred.
- SalesForce experience is a plus as is the ability to provide some level of IT support.
$70,000 – $80,000/year. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to: location, experience, and performance. This is a full-time exempt position.
As a member of LightHawk, you’ll enjoy:
- Remote-first working environment
- Unlimited vacation policy
- 401k Plan with employer match up to 5%
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits with low employee premiums
- Technology stipends for laptop, cell phone, printer, home office supplies and home internet
- Employer paid long term disability, life insurance and AD&D
LightHawk is a fully remote company. The Accounting Manager can work remotely from anywhere in the US with a dedicated, equipped, office space and consistent access to high-speed internet.
Steps to apply:
Please complete an online application at Careers – LightHawk. Application deadline is June 20th. Candidates selected to move forward in LightHawk’s hiring process will be contacted to schedule a video interview. All candidates must pass a background check prior to employment.
Equal Opportunities and Accommodations Statement:
LightHawk is deeply committed to building a workplace and global community where inclusion is valued. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neurodiversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.